I can’t believe I forgot writing about Kota Kinabalu! sorry for the late post, This is my 2nd time traveling to KK the first one was in during Lebaran Eidul Fitri, this time i’m going with my school friends, this was suppose to be the ultimate adventure once in a lifetime experience trekking Mount Kinabalu however from 6 person confirmed down to 3 and sadly ever since the earthquake the trekking routes were damaged and closed for renovation arghh!.but anyhow tickets were already bought so here I go again hoping to find more interesting places to see in KK (stay positive…yayy!)
For those who doesn’t know, if you are traveling from Jakarta there are a direct flight from Jakarta to KK with Air Asia (notes that flights are not everyday saturday,tuesday and thursday) and are mostly night flights so you’ll probably arrived there during midnight lol! don’t forget to eat something before boarding, or at least bring some snack or bread
Our aim to travel to Kinabalu again…as I explained earlier is its heroic mountain, known to be the tallest mountain in South east Asia, and part of the 7 summit around the world its height is 4,096 m. Sadly due to the earthquake that occurred earlier the trek was damaged and closed for renovation. But all that sadness dissapeared after we dsicovered hey there are so much to see in the city itself and oh yaa…Island hopping never tried that one…but it turned out to be amazing!.
Here are the 7 best places to visit Kota Kinabalu – Sabah
- Mount Kinabalu – Of course no doubt! the most epic mountain I’ve seen so far in my life, if you travel by car from KK it takes approximately around 2-4 hours ride you will stop by a souvenir shops many times just to get amazing photos, better to travel in the morning, this is if you are not really, if you are then I would recommend you to stay overnight in Kota Kinabalu national park, I would recommend sightseeing around the Mount Kinabalu, the journey is an adventure itself, other than beautiful places to take pictures, you can also visit other places too such as Desa Cattle Dairy Farm (yogurt,ice cream, milk)
2. Tanjung Aru– perfect for sunset located just opposite Shangrila and very near to the airport ( you can see this while boarding the plane, or if you;re in the beach you, see the plane landing
My feet playing with sand and water
3. Masjid Bandaraya – beautiful architecture, best to visit during the day, bring umbrella if it gets too hot!
4. Atkinson Clock Tower – Just a clock! lol
5. Signal Hill – best place for photography, relaxing the view and eat ice cream 😀
6. Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park – This is a place where you can go Island hopping it opens from 08:30-17:00 takes you around 15-20 min ride only, if you are spending there for a day trip then 2 or 3 islands is enough you spend around 2-3 hours on each Island again it depends how many Island and what Islands you are visiting.
Starting point would be from Jessleton point Kota Kinabalu. here are the list of Island tours you can select
Manukan Island : Adult RM23, Child RM 18
Mamutik Island : Adult RM23, Child RM18
Sapi Island : Adult RM23, Child RM18
Sulug Island : Adult RM23, Child RM18
Two island hops : Adult RM33, Child RM28
Three island hops : Adult RM43, Child RM38
Four island hops : Adult RM53, Child RM48
7. Treetop Canopy Walk (Poring) – This area is located next to Poring hot springs, first time trying this and freaking scared! lol but its so much fun no pictures were allowed, well you have to pay for permission so only one camera allowed, so me and my friends take turns in taking photos! The canopy is over 175 Meters long and 41-43 Meters in height, well for those who are afraid of height wont recommend this unless you are like me, scared but curious! just try not to look down 😀
The entrance fee of Canopy Walkway is RM3 (≈USD0.90) for Malaysian adult, RM5 (≈USD1.50) for foreigner. Add another RM5 (≈USD1.50) camera fee if you bring a camera with you